Sunday 22 March 2009

Evaluation And Changes Made To Idents

Once all my animations for each scene had been rendered out and edited together in windows movie maker the final animations were far too long to be used as a television ident. They were advert length. Although I was very happy with my models and scenes in general there were some inconsistencies. Such as the font used for the title "Technology Channel" appeared to be different in one of the ident's.

I made significant changes to my first ident animation as it was too long. I cut the fist scene where the "Technology Channel" is displayed as if on the side of a spaceship, because I was now going to put the title at the end of the animation. Also the font was different in this scene to the others, which caused inconsistency.
I also cut out the second animation of the spaceship as I thought this wasn't needed.
I slightly speeded up the camera animations as well. I speeded up the length the spaceship takes to reach the planet and fall into the sea. Also I removed two of the cameras and kept just one to make it simple and less confusing as to what is happening.
The major change in this ident is the end, after the spaceship has fallen into the sea the "Technology Channel" title comes out of the water. I initially wanted the font to have a water texture like the sea but this made it difficult to read and I wanted to keep the title colours the same in each ident to keep it consistent.
The only difference with this title compared to the other ident's is that
the font bends. I did this because I thought it seemed more organic and natural within the water environment. It also fits better within the camera view without having to zoom out too far.


The problem with the second ident was that it was also too long and was confusing. In the first bedroom scene I made the camera static and made the spaceship that is seen inside the computer, fly from behind the camera through the bedroom, causing the bed sheets to wave. Then flying into the computer itself.


From here I removed one of the cameras within the computer scene as it was confusing for the viewer and took up too much time.
I then shorted the length of time it took for the spaceship to hit the end of the computers motherboard.
The scene changes back to the bedroom scene where the camera is now static and flames consume the computer and rise into the air.
This time the fire doesn't break out on the monitor as well because I changed the blue screen background to the "Technology Channel" title and I didn't want the title obscured by the fire.


The last ident didn't seem to fit properly together with the theme of the first two ident's. The last scene of the ident showed a bright white background with the "Technology Channel" title displayed boldly above an ipod playing a video game. I liked this idea in general as I thought this showed the theme of technology quite well, so I decided to keep it as a whole but with some aspects changed to fit in with an earlier ident. This kept a more consistent theme.
I changed the background white colour, which I thought to be the main inconsistency, and changed it to the space background seen in an earlier ident.


I also animated the bits of furniture in the scene to float up and down as if drifting through space.


Some changes were also made to the city scape scene. I added different textures, more variation on the buildings and an animated city which looks more lively with cars and a subway train. The small spaceship which crashes into the city below also causes a small dust explosion.

No comments: