Sunday 29 March 2009

Adding Sound To The Animation

With the ident animations finished the last part of completing the ident's was too add sound and music. I used a home microphone to record some basic sounds and I spent some time downloading samples to use. I tried to collect a large resource of sounds so I could have a lot to choose from.
For editing the music and the sound effects I used a sound editing program called Audacity which allowed me to import and export sound as I pleases, also allowing me to combine sound together, which was ideal for creating the noise of the city in my third ident as I could put sounds of subway trains, car horns, people talking and combine it into one sound.


The sound effects was what I concentrated on first before the background music.
For my first ident which has the spaceship flying through space and falling into a lake on Earth required a few sound effects, mainly the sound of the spaceship as it flies through space, the sound of it falling and the sound of splashing water.
Other possible background sounds could be bird noises to give a sense of realism.
The background music that plays throughout the ident was one I chose because the music is quite mysterious and futuristic. I thought this would suit the spaceship scene the best.

The second ident which has the bedroom scene, with the spaceship flying through the room, through the computer and blowing it up. causing the computer to set on fire.
I looked into a lot of different samples for this scene as it required quite a few. I wanted a sound for the computer as it flies, a sort of warping sound as it enters the computer, background computer noise whilst inside the computer, an explosion when the spaceship crashes and the sound of fire when the computer is set on fire. The background music was kept quiet on this ident as the sound effects played a bigger part within the scene.
Other background noises I wanted to include were cars passing by, birds tweeting etc. Just to build a sense of realism within the scene.

My third ident involves the spaceships attacking a city. then zooming out to reveal an iPod in space playing this as a video game.
The main sound effects I used within this scene was the explosions and laser beams of spaceships attacking the city. I also included some background city noise to make the city seem alive.
Once the scene changes to the iPod playing the video game, I kept the sound of the laser beams playing.
The background music doesn't really play a part until the space scene where I use the same mysterious and futuristic music. This also creates a consistency between the ident's with the music.
The main programs I used at this stage, for editing and rendering the video with the audio were Audacity and Adobe Premier Pro.

No comments: